Sports massage is a special form of massage that is carried out with the physical and psychological needs of the athlete in mind. Its purpose is to:
- prepare the athlete for peak performance
- drain away fatigue
- relieve swelling
- reduce muscle tension
- promote flexibility
- prevent injuries.
The benefits of sports massage include:
- Reduced recovery time between training sessions
- Reduced likelihood of developing sports injuries
- Reduced likelihood that a primary injury will lead to secondary injuries
- An increase in the length of an athlete’s career
Sports massage can be divided into 4 different types:
- Pre-event: Given in the hours running up to an event. It promotes tissue pliability and prepares the athlete for top performance. It also increases blood circulation and reduces excess muscle and mental tension prior to competition.
- Post-event Sports Massage: Up to 4 hours after the activity. This helps to relax the muscles, remove waste products formed during exercise and increase the supply nutrients to the area. It reduces the likelihood of developing soreness in the muscles and in turn reduces the athlete’s recovery time.
- Training Sports Massage: This helps to improve recovery between training sessions and reduces the risk of injury. In turn, it maximises performance and therefore the effect of training. It also allows early detection of changes in tissue tension or inflammation before they develop into injuries.
- Rehabilitation Sports Massage: this treatment is given to aid recovery from sports injuries. It reduces inflammation, breaks down scar tissue and adhesions and returns joint, muscles and tendon mobility to normal levels. These treatments greatly increase the speed of recovery after injury and significantly reduce chances of re-injury.
MONDAY – 10:00 – 20:00
TUESDAY – 8:00 – 18:00
WENESDAY – 7:00 – 13:00
THURSDAY – 7:00 – 18:00
FRIDAY – 10:00 – 19:00
SATURDAY – CLOSED
SUNDAY – CLOSED
Having suffered with long term back pain where neither surgery or endless alternative treatments have helped or eased the pain, one weekly session of combined stretching, exercise, deep tissue massage and dry needling, along with sound and practical advice from Meadbh, I am running pain free for the first time in 6 years.
I am delighted with the treatment I received from Meadbh. For years, I suffered with headaches, sinus problems and a stiff neck. With the massage and needles, I have got great relief. I have great movement now and no headaches. I have even found that my sense of smell has improved as the sinuses have cleared. Meadbh gave me some home exercises to do which I find are very good.
18 months ago, I had an accident and I fractured my pelvis. Before I went to Meadbh, I found my muscles were very stiff and sore. I found it very hard to stoop or to pick something up from the floor. I was very stiff when I got up in the morning and it took a long time to get going. Things were getting worse. Now, after 4 treatments, I am able to do a lot more and the morning stiffness is almost gone. I am able to stand up straight again and I can even bend to touch my toes. The exercises that Meadbh gave me have helped a lot.
Before I started physio with Meadbh, I had fallen at home outside my door. I had hurt my left knee, wrists, fingers, and arms and had all aches and pains all over my body. I felt like a 90 year old person. After the first session with Meadbh, I was feeling better. Within a few weeks, I was getting back to normal and back walking. I would recommend anybody who has any type of aches and pains in knees, back or headaches to give Meadbh a try at physio. She is a brilliant person and is so relaxing. She has made me feel 100% well again. Thanks for everything.
I had been struggling to shake off a lower back injury which had resulted in me experiencing a lot of stiffness and loss of flexibility in that area. I had also suffered an attack of sciatica from the same injury. This had been very painful and left me with a lot of soreness and tenderness down through the muscles in my leg.
Meadbh performed a combination of dry needle therapy and cranial therapy on my back and leg over the course of a number of weeks. I found this treatment to be very effective as it greatly reduced the symptoms I had experienced.
She also provided me with a program of exercises and stretches which were designed to strengthen my lower back and core region. I can say that this program has been of immense benefit to me as I am now feeling a lot stronger in this area. Meadbh is an excellent therapist with a tremendous passion for her job and I am very grateful to her for the treatment she provided.